Shortly after Rev. Harry Branton’s appointment as pastor in September 1928, plans were drawn up for a new building and rectory.
A construction committee was appointed on July 15, 1929.
Land facing Sixth Street, adjoining the church property, was purchased for the site of the rectory.
On March 30, 1930, a finance commission was formed. Three years had passed before they actually started the new building, but they kept going.
Plans called for the building to be a Spanish Gothic sanctuary, accommodating around 300 people, and a modern religious education building.
They moved the old church to the back of the property and turned it into a large social hall. The stucco presbytery consisted of seven rooms and a double garage.
The financial report showed donations of $ 13,879 for the project and a bank loan was obtained for an amount of $ 23,000, of which everything but $ 15 was spent.
During the construction of the new church, the congregation and Sunday School held services across the street at Chino High School (now the offices of the Chino Unified School District).
The “Whatsoever Class” has become very active, with a large number of members.
The Adult Sunday School and various groups increased membership and maintained a full program of events.
Five dollar banquets and pinny a penny banks were used to pay off church debt. On January 18, 1931, the new buildings were opened by Bishop Charles Wesley Burns.
Just weeks after the church was dedicated, the Kimball Pipe Organ, personally built for the home of Mr. WT Hickson, was donated to the church in memory of him by his daughters, Mrs. Seth Hastings and Mrs. Guy O. Montgomery.
The Great Depression began in 1929, but it did not slow down the church’s dedication to community service; they continued.
In 1933, the three women’s societies of the Chino Methodist Church were amalgamated under the name “Christian Service Guild”.
In 1940, following the unification of the Methodists in the United States, these societies were united into the “Women’s Society of Christian Service”. Later, as the membership grew, small working groups called circles were organized.
A notable activity of the local Methodist women was the annual Christmas tea. All the women of the community were invited. It was a big festive affair at the community level.
Then, on December 7, 1941, Pearl Harbor was attacked by the Japanese. The day after the assault, President Franklin D. Roosevelt called on Congress to declare war on Japan and delivered his “Day of Infamy” speech. Within a week, Germany declared war on the United States. We were really involved in a world war.
During the war years, the women’s group made a significant contribution to the war effort. They bought bonds and supplied goods to the David and Margaret house. They sewed for the Red Cross, made clothes and utility bags, and knitted afghans for local emergencies.
They also collected woolen material for the Kenny bags, which were used in the treatment of polio. A Kenny Pack is a warm, moist pack that has been applied to the affected muscles to relieve spasms and pain. They were handed over to Casa Colina, which was then located in Chino. They continued.
On Sunday at 4:00 p.m., January 16, 1944, the church had a service to burn the mortgage and dedicate the church buildings.
At Christmas in 1944, church members served over 300 dinners at USO in Ontario.
The church’s golden jubilee was celebrated in 1945. At this time, a men’s club was organized and a boy scout troop was sponsored.
Good music continued to be a vital part of church life, and a youth choir was added. Also, during this time the church began a 25 year relationship with the Reverend and Mrs. E. Hoyt Smith in their missionary effort in Pakistan.
The Korean War began in 1950. This is another instance of the church mobilizing and helping in many ways, just like during World War II.
During the fifties, women’s groups were busy starting the church’s lending library and improving the social hall and kitchen, adding lights, cabinets, a refrigerator, and a stove with a hood and a stove. exhaust fan.
The church was also instrumental in the formation of the Chino Social Services Council and the Chino Neighborhood House, which still exists today.
As you can see, we don’t let anything hold us back. We are a service oriented church and we keep going!