See the Opening Celebrations of Giving Machines 2022
The #LightTheWorld Giving Machines of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints campaign opens in 17 states across the United States and five other countries around the world. Eight cities will be visited by mobile versions of the donation-focused vending machines.
The first Giving Machines opened Wednesday, November 16 in Las Vegas, Nevada, and Kansas City, Missouri. On Thursday, November 17, the Giving Machines opened in the Philippines.
See below for the celebration unboxing. This will be updated as the Giving Machines open.
What are Giving Machines?
Giving Machines offer a unique way to serve and care for others around the world, giving donors the ability to “select” items such as groceries, fresh water, childhood vaccines, beds, hygiene kits, agricultural equipment, medical care, vocational training, supplies, beehives and livestock as charitable donations. Nearly 125 local and global nonprofit organizations join the Church to care for and serve millions in need.
With the first Giving Machine debuting in 2017, total contributions reached $15 million over the five-year period. Giving Machines were not available in 2020 due to COVID-19 pandemic restrictions.
The Giving Machines are part of the Light the World 2022 initiative, which this year has the theme “The world needs your light”. More information can be found at LightTheWorld.org.
Here’s more information on the celebrations when Giving Machines open in an area and the Giving Machines opening schedule. See a list of locations here. Not near a donation machine? Online donations can be made at LightTheWorld.org/give.
A special ceremony with song and music – including the traditional blowing of a conch shell – marked the opening of the Hawaii Giving Machines at the Pearlridge Center on November 19. Hawaii Lieutenant Governor Josh Green helped highlight local and national charities that will benefit from this year’s donations.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Golden Knights hockey player Keegan Kolesar and Chance, the Knights’ Gila monster mascot, made the first donations to the Las Vegas Giving Machines in downtown Summerlin during the Nov. 16 unboxing.
See churchofjesuschristinlasvegas.org/giving-machine for more information on the Giving Machines and other events.
Steven R. Bangerter, General Authority Seventy and President of the Philippines Area, and Sister Susan Bangerter led the unveiling of the giving machines at Festival Mall Alabang on November 17. Other local celebrities, influencers and religious leaders were in attendance.
Another giveaway machine in Cebu City at the Ayala Center Cebu is set to open on November 25.
Kansas City, Missouri
Relief Society general president Camille N. Johnson and representatives from the Kansas City Chiefs Organization helped unpack donation machines at the Crown Center Nov. 16.
“We are all children of God. What a blessing to share what we have, our abundance, with those who have less, and to help those who need a helping hand,” President Johnson said.
Other local celebrities have been involved in promoting the Giving Machines, including actor and Kansas City native Paul Rudd, whose film credits include portraying Ant-Man in the DC Films superhero, and the ‘Modern Family’ actor Eric Stonestreet.
Visit givingmachineskc.org for more information on Giving Machines and other events.
Arizona: Gilbert and Flagstaff
The Giving Machines in Gilbert, Arizona will open Friday, November 18 at Water Tower Plaza. Another in Glendale at Murphy Park will open Nov. 22.
Mobile Giving Machines opened in Flagstaff on Wednesday, November 16 and will remain there until December 1.
Opening schedule of Giving Machines
- Honolulu, Hawaii — opening November 19 at Pearlridge Center
- Houston, Texas — opening November 21 at Bravery Chef Hall
- Mexico City, Mexico — opening November 21 at two locations: Plaza Satélite and Centro Comercial Perisur
- Orem, Utah – opening November 22 at University Place Mall
- Salt Lake City, Utah — opening November 22 at City Creek Center
- St. Augustine, Florida – Mobile Donation Machine Opening November 25-29 ayou St. Augustine Visitor Center; he will also be in Birmingham, Alabama at the City Walk BHAM from December 1-4; Atlanta, Georgia at The Interlock from December 6-11; Charlotte, NC at Promenade on Providence Dec. 13-17; and Charleston, South Carolina, at Miracle Park from December 18-23.
- Denver, Colorado — opening Nov. 20, celebrating Nov. 26 at Writer Square
- Brisbane, Australia — opening November 26 at a location to be determined
- Calgary, Alberta — opening November 29 at South Center Mall
- New York — opening November 29 at Rockefeller Center
- Nashville, Tennessee – opening November 29 at CoolSprings Galleria
- Seattle, Washington — opening November 29 at Bellevue Square Park
- Sacramento, CA – opening November 30 at Westfield Galleria in Roseville.
- Washington, DC — opening November 30 at a location to be determined
- Guatemala City, Guatemala – opening December 1 at two locations – Pradera Vistares and Pradera Concepción